They provide long-term efficacy with low environmental impact. They are the first major innovation in years for utility infrastructure, with 28 years of performance data for treated wood pole and crossarm protection.
The active ingredient is DCOI:
- DCOI’s formulation is 4,5-Dichloro-2-N-Octyl-4-Isothiazolin-3-One (CAS No 64359-81-5).
- DCOI is not a Restricted Use Pesticide and is not persistent in soil.
- An organic, broad-spectrum biocide
- Contains no heavy metals, dioxins, furans or PAHs
- Standardized as a wood preservative by AWPA and listed as P-39 in the Book of Standards
- The first, new oil-borne industrial wood preservative in decades
- The same active ingredient used in marine antifouling formulations that won the 1996 US EPA Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award
- Very effective – retentions standardized by the American Wood Protection Association (AWPA) are 1/3 the retention of pentachlorophenol.
- The only oil-borne industrial wood preservative backed by a warranty – a 50-year limited warranty
- DCOI is used in, and currently sold as:
- a marine antifoulant
- an algaecide for cooling towers
- an industrial microbicide in drywall
- an industrial microbicide in shower curtains
- an industrial microbicide in pool liners
- an industrial microbicide in brewery pasteurizing and can warmer systems
- a fungicide/bactericide for in-can paint formulations
- a fungicide component in Ecolife®, the best performing, non-metal based, above ground residential preservative on the market.
Pole hardware that is suitable for penta and CCA poles are also suitable for UltraPole NXT poles and crossarms with DCOI.
UltraPole NXT poles and crossarms with DCOI:
- use less energy, fossil fuels, and water to produce; with lower ecotoxicity than other materials used in for poles
- have a wider range of disposal options at the end of life
- The active ingredient, DCOI, earned the EPA’s President’s Green Chemistry Challenge Award in 1996 for its use as an alternative to tributyltin (TBT) compounds in marine antifoulant coatings.
- DCOI is stable and leach resistant.
- DCOI is effective against wood decay fungi and termites.
Generally linemen will not notice a difference between DCOI and penta treated poles other than it’s lower odor and is also easy to climb.